Wednesday, April 8, 2009

How to Make 1.5 Cents an Hour on Twitter

Or, How to Be Jaguar/Land Rover and Spend Less Than $1,000 on Your Twitter Marketing Campaign


Screenshot of my Twitter profile with Land Rover's display ad and their first of three promo tweets. (As seen in PowerTwitter, a handy Firefox addon for enhancing your Twitter Web experience.)

So you've tried making money online by embedding ugly Google ads on your website and by the end of the year you had made enough money to buy a sock.

Time for a new get-poor-quick scheme.

Enter Twittad.

Twittad is a way for you to make big, big money on Twitter by uploading a display ad to your Twitter profile and allowing the advertiser to tweet a promo from your Twitter account: one tweet at the beginning of the agreed-upon time period, one tweet at the end, and maybe a little in the middle depending on the ad agreement.

It's not even all that obnoxious.

Me, I'm letting Land Rover advertise with me for 7 days for Two Dollars and Fifty Cents. They tweeted (see screenshot above) the moment I accepted the agreement and will tweet two more times through me. No big deal.

I won't get my Two Dollars and Fifty Cents right away at the end of the week. Twittad makes you earn $30 before they will cough up all over your PayPal account.

My ad agreement with Land Rover is better than some other ad offers. One advertiser wanted to give me Two Dollars and Fifty Cents for a whole month. I was like, "No way, I'm rolling in Land Rover dough, ain't got time for your chump change."

On the other hand, other advertisers will pay a whole ten bucks for just a week. I'm guessing others will pay more - especially if you have a lot of followers.

I have about 1,000 followers on Twitter. I tweet frequently. I engage my followers. I try to keep things interesting. (Follow me.) TweetValue says my Twitter profile is worth $644 based purely on followership. That's bull. A Twitter profile - or anything in the world, actually - is worth exactly whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

Besides, followership means nothing. You can have 50,000 followers, but how many of them actually listen to anything you say? Branding is not about sheer numbers, people. Don't get me started.

Land Rover is pretty smart. They're spending less than $1,000 on their Twitter campaign, recruiting 300 Twitterers to the cause just in time for the New York Auto Show.

Now if I can just get Jaguar/Land Rover on board as a Westward Invasion sponsor.

If you want to make some money on your Twitter account (and you might as well) then visit Twittad and sign up. Give it a shot. If you save your proceeds, and I save mine, and we put it in the bank, it will gain interest and our great great grandchildren will be set for life!